PoppyMeze

Monday 15 September 2014

HMIC PEEL Inspection: My Response

Emailed to: haveyoursay@hmic.gsi.gov.uk (edited)

I don't do forms and I have not answered specifics but would like to comment on the following and I do hope someone takes the time to read it.

I am all for any move towards transparency.  I have counselled police officers and staff of all levels, so I know something of what goes on.
 

Mostly I am satisfied with my local police officers, other than one complaint I made in 2009 because a female officer stopped me on my way to work.  Accused me of using my mobile phone whilst driving - said I had been spotted on camera, insisted I hand her my phone. She was showing off for the benefit of her a male trainee.  I knew her accusation was false and could prove it, which I did.

On the other side of the coin there are many positives, like the male officer who insisted on coming out in the early hours as I had reported a man knocking on my window and making threatening remarks; he was no doubt drunk and lost but still worrying when you live alone.  A female officer last year was also sympathetic as well as professional.  We get a significant amount of vandalism in this area, pubs' chucking out times mostly, and my window got broken during a street fight. This officer said that one of her main concerns was to know how I felt the local police could support me.  She also visited me twice more in the following weeks.


With regard to changes; I have three main points:

1) The ridiculous and virtually criminal procedure of allowing corrupt coppers to resign so that they do not have to face charges, must stop.
2) My personal experience of the IPCC is that they are not independent, so whether more power or resources would have any impact is debatable.
3) Decent, professional police officers need incentives. I am not saying the old days were better or using 'rose coloured specs' but the 'bobby on the beat' of my childhood, was happy to remain in that post, it was his 'calling' but he could have done with more in his pay packet; this fact still remains, they do not all want promotion, other than for the wage increase.


That said, my prime purpose for writing. Jeremy Bamber, an innocent man, has been in prison for nearly 29 years, and until any prosecutors and police officers who withheld information which would have helped his defence, plus any who falsified documents, altered statements and/or blatantly lied, are brought to justice, I feel nothing in our justice system can or will change for the better. 


http://www.justiceinspectorates.gov.uk/hmic/news/news-feed/hmic-asks-public-for-views-on-new-assessments-of-police-forces-in-england-and-wales/

No comments:

Post a Comment